Hi, today we publish our long research about best socket set for mechanics. Specially if you are a mechanic, chances are, that you would need to deal with different sizes of nuts and bolts on a daily basis. And how exactly would you expect to work efficiently if you do not have the perfect set up socket?
If you simply believe that one set of randomly sized sockets will solve the issue for you, then take a look back again and reevaluate your decision as to why you would need the right and the best sets of sockets.
When you are working you wouldn’t want your sockets to fail to work with certain sizes of bolts. Therefore, you need a state which has different kinds and sizes of sockets that will help you to work under any circumstances and with any shapes and sizes of nuts and bolts.
And that’s not all! You also need a set of a socket that will be long lasting and worth the money you pay for them. You wouldn’t want a socket set that failed or give away when there is a lot of heavy work.
So, you would definitely want a set of sockets that will help with your work process as well as the ability to better handle the work pressure that you need to undergo on a daily basis.
Lastly, you shouldn’t forget the price of socket sets. Of course, there are socket sets in different ranges, but you want a set where the price will be affordable enough for you, as well as give you the best value for the price that you pay.
If you have been looking for some of the best socket set for mechanics out there, then you have come to the right place. We have personally handpicked 5 of the best-known socket sets out there for mechanics, that would meet all the criteria that you can think of! So without further ado, let us look into the pros and cons of each and decide which one you should be going for.
Below is a set of the chosen socket sets, which will be discussed elaborately on the article later on:
- Dewalt 84 pcs mechanics tool set
- Crescent mechanics tool set, 170-piece
- Stanley 40-piece socket set
- Dewalt drive socket set (34 pieces)
- Craftsman 165 piece mechanics tool set
best socket set for car maintenance
1. Dewalt 84 pcs mechanics tool set
For the first product that we have chosen, we have picked the Dewalt mechanics tool set. This best socket set comes with a total of 84 pieces of a mechanics tool box, which gives you the option to select just what you need from a wide variety of tools. With such a wide array of tools at your disposal, you can finish any task easier than you expected.
Furthermore, this mechanics tools that also comes with a durable case that has additional metal latches so you can keep your tools safe and secure, no matter where you choose to keep it.
You can also be sure that you wouldn’t need to put much strain while working since the set comes with an anti-slip screwdriver. This provides ultimate comfort while you are working with it.
It also comes with 72 tooth count ratchet, which provides a 5° swing. It is not only easy for high torque ratcheting, but you can also easily control the pressure of these tools in extremely tight and hard to reach areas.
If there is not all, this 84 piece mechanic tools also comes with the full lifetime warranty! Now you can rest assured while working since your mechanic tool set will last for a long time.
- Each of the sockets is very high quality and made with heavy-duty metal.
- Comes with a carry bag that you can secure with metal fasteners to keep your tools safe wherever you take them.
- The sockets come with a lifetime guarantee so they will last you for a very long time
- The wide assortment of tools ensures that you have everything you need in one package and therefore making your work a lot efficient.
- The sockets have a unique head design that allows you to go to narrow or hard to reach places. The 72 tooth ratchet also allows access in tight areas.
- The anti-slip screwdriver and shape of the sockets with slight ridges prevent slippage of any sort while providing maximum comfort.
- No marking on the sockets. This makes distinguishing the sockets in the set quite confusing, especially because you have to look around to pick exactly what you want.
- Slight issues with the blowout casing where the tools tend to slip out in some places, especially when you open the case or you’re trying to close the casing.
2. Crescent mechanics tool set, 170-piece
Up next for the second product we have chosen the crescent mechanics tool set. This comes with a hundred and seventy pieces of tools and includes an assortment of specially handpicked tools that are needed for home mechanics industrial mechanics and also for consumer applications.
Talk about fitting hundred and seventy pieces of tools inside such a small and compact case! If you are shocked, then you wouldn’t be more amazed to see how the crescent tool set fits all of its sockets inside its compact case!
Without any unnecessary sockets tools to fill up the box, everything you get in this toolset is extremely necessary and important items.
With over 100 years of experience in this line of business, the Crescent 170 Mechanics Tool Set, is the latest toolset in the Crescent line and therefore has brought about substantial improvements in the quality of its tools and the casing issues as well.
Besides all that the tools also go through the new ANSI and ANSE specifications. And lastly, the products come with a blow mold casing that can also be folded, so you can now can you tell whether you need them and also store them safely and securely.
With a promise to last a lifetime, the sockets in the crescent mechanics tool set are made from chrome vanadium steel alloy, and also formulated and heat treated for great strength and resistance against corrosion of any sort.
- Everything goes through the new ANSI and ASME specifications.
- The doors are specifically made to meet industrial needs, mechanical needs and consumer applications.
- Comparatively lower price for such a wide assortment of tools.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- There are some unnecessary tools that you don’t really need
- The grips of the tools tend to get slippery when handling oil
- The rachets are not as compact for using in hard to reach areas
- The casing seems to fail at times since the tools come off from it.
3. Stanley 40-piece socket set
For the 3rd pick, we have chosen the Stanley 40 pieces mechanic socket set. Made with high-quality alloy steel, each of these tools is also separately heat treated for providing the ultimate performance.
The max-drive design of these 40 piece mechanic socket sets meets the ANSI standards which provide 15% more work as a result of it. The set also comes with a 72 tooth ratchet which allows a 5-degree arc swing in order to allow for better operation in tight or closed spaces.
The tools have a chrome finish, and so doesn’t rust or corrode easily. Set also comes with a carrying case, so you can easily carry them wherever you need, and also store the tools safely and securely.
Apart from that Stanley tools that comes with full lifetime warranty, that also promises to cover any product failure. If you have any tool that doesn’t meet the requirement of is damaged, then Stanley will bear all responsibilities in such cases and replace it.
An amazing feature of the tool set is that it has the quick release feature. This allows you to remove any sockets or extensions with one hand only if needed.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- In case of any customer dissatisfaction, Stanley is willing to replace products immediately
- Quality tools at such great pricing
- All tools are essential, there are no useless tools
- Good quality rachets with tight gearing and proper release buttons
- There is raised marking on the sockets but not with color, therefore it can cause confusion for some users.
- The markings are too small sometimes difficult to see.
- Problem with the casing as the tools come loose from the casing.
4. Dewalt drive socket set (34 pieces)
Next, for our 4th product, we have chosen the Dewalt 34 piece drive socket set. This is one of the best socket sets for the money. We have already seen the 84 piece socket set of the same brand for the first review. if you think in terms of quality, and the 34 set is just as good!
Because it is already such a popular brand in the market there is a huge demand for high-quality Dewalt products.
The 34 piece that is the smallest in the brand, however, despite the small amount, it still has everything that is needed for getting your job done!
The Dewalt 34 piece set also comes with a carrying case, which has a tray so that you can remove to your tools according to your needs. Besides that, the cover of the case is transparent, so you can simply look at it and decide which you need, or check whether you have all the necessary tools with you. The casing can also be locked, which make sure that your tools will remain safe and secure.
Since it is smaller, there is also an upside as a result of it. If you hated dragging large and heavy tool-boxes with you so far, then worry no more! This 34 piece set is already the solution to your problem! You don’t have to worry about carrying heavy pieces of tool any longer since this small toolbox can be easily carried anywhere you want. The small size, therefore, makes it very handy!
Furthermore, since it has very limited tools, it is designed in a very clear way. You only have the most essential tools in this toolbox.
And that is not all. Since this 34 piece socket set comes with a lifetime warranty, it ensures that in case of any mishap, you can get replacement tools anytime you need it.
- The tools of polishing with the chrome vanadium finish
- Each tool has hard stamped markings on them, so you can distinguish one from the other
- Comes with a removable today so you can customize the tools that you need to carry for a specific situation
- The casing is light enough to carry almost everywhere making it very handy
- Transparent cover of the casing make sure you can see what you are carrying
- Comes with a lifetime quality
- There are knurled rings that give you additional control while working with them
- The tools don’t have the magnetic areas to hold screws while working in tight areas
- The handles of some of the tools are not strongly attached
5. Craftsman 165 piece mechanics tool set
For our last pick, we have chosen the craftsman 165 pieces mechanics tool set. Specially created for customers who want a lot of tools, this set is made to cater to customers who have absolutely no tools, to begin with. So this can be a starter kit for you if you have absolutely no toolkits!
As far as the quality is concerned, although the tools are made in China and not in the US, the quality is still pretty good.
You may think that with so many tools, the casing would be too large to carry or store. However, you will actually be surprised to know that the casing with these tools is handy enough to be kept in your car and also be carried too far away locations. Isn’t that a surprise?
Of course, the hex wrenches are kept separately in another container since not everything would fit within one case. But other than that, it is surprising and relieving at the same time, that you can carry all of your tools if needed.
As for the price, you can say that it definitely is a win-win situation! If you calculate the price of a single tool, then you will realize that you have paid a lot less for each, since you have bought 165 pieces of tools together!
- Includes a wide assortment of tools at a very good price
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- A casing with secure metal hinges to fit all bits and pieces of tools
- A complete set of tools that includes metric as well as standard Allen wrenches
- Easy to access tools and organize in the casing
- Issues with the casing, since despite the safety flap, the sockets seem to come loose
- The ratchet wrenches are shorter and don’t offer much leverage
- No space for any extra bits of tools in the casing, for the Allen wrenches, you need to keep them in a separate bag
- There are plastic parts on the tools
Buying guide for best socket set
So far you have seen the reviews of the five best socket wrench that we have specifically chosen for you.
However, when it comes to buy socket sets for yourself, there are a few things that you should think of beforehand. Without being said, let’s look at some of the things that you should consider before buying a socket set.
So here’s the ultimate guide that will help you to understand what it is that you need before you make any purchase:
The Purpose- before you buy any socket set it is very important that you know exactly what and why you will be using the set for.
Knowing the exact use of your socket set will prevent you from spending extra money, purchasing unnecessary extra tools which you will never use.
If you want to avoid buying unnecessary items then you should always decide what you are to set who is mainly be used for.
- The actual number of tools– do your research and decide on how many different types of sockets you actually need. You don’t really want to waste money on things you wouldn’t need.
- If you only need a handful of them, then you don’t necessarily want to purchase a big socket set which will give you a lot of unnecessary tools that will remain unused.
- In contrast, if you actually need a lot of tools together, then you don’t want to buy a set, which won’t give you all that you need. In such a case, you will need to keep making purchases, later on, making your initial purchase invalid. So think carefully about the number of tools you need before you make any purchase.
- Storing and carrying your tools- this is actually very important given that when you use tools, you will want to store them somewhere, or even carry them to different locations.
- It becomes extremely difficult if you cannot do either of the following properly. And so, before you make a purchase, check before purchasing to see if it’s properly made.
- You want to carry you are sockets without making a huge mess, and also store them in a way so that it’s easier to find them later on.
- Therefore, you should always decide about the storage possibilities well ahead of making a purchase.
Benefits of Buying The Best Socket Set for Automotive
There are a ton of benefits when it comes to using socket sets. Let us look at some of them below:
Socket sets are versatile tools- sockets can be used for everything that you can think of. Whether it’s for a small thing such as fixing something trivial at home, or as serious as doing something as a professional mechanic, you want to be able to work without interruption. This is where sockets sets come handy. Since socket sets usually come with tools of different sizes, you can get to working without any problem at all.
- *Socket sets will save you a lot of space- usually, socket sets come with casings. These casings are specifically designed with trays or shaped in a way so you can place tools of different sizes in them. Since you have casings to keep your tools in, you will not need to make extra space, and other than that, it will also be easy to carry your tools wherever you may need them.
- *Easier to use- compared to other tools, when it comes to socket sets, the main purpose is to make tasks related to tightening, attaching, and removing screws easier than before. With a traditional spanner, it might take some time to work around your nuts and bolts. However, with sockets, the same tasks can become a lot simpler.
- *Socket sets can be used in hard to reach areas-unlike any other tools, sockets are made in a variety of shapes and sizes. This is why sockets can work in difficult areas where normal tools can’t reach.
- For ease of comfort, you can fit sockets anywhere, and get your work done simply.
FAQs on Socket Sets
With all the information that you need to know about socket sets, now you have found quite a few factors to look into when buying your own socket set.
With the reviews of some of the best socket set for mechanics that we have chosen here, hopefully, our article has helped you in deciding which socket set to purchase as well as give you some additional information regarding the things you should look for when buying a socket set.
I’m a DIY guy looking for a decent mechanics socket set. I have a mishmash of sockets I’ve accrued over the last 20 years or so from various cheap sets and harbor freight. Lost a few here and there so its spotty. I don’t need wrenches or screwdrivers. I’ve got good sets of each of those. So, I would be really happy if I could hear your expert recommendations. Thanks.
John Anna says
buying mechanic tool sets was hard job, so many factors involved. This article helps very much for choosing the Tool sets. Comparisons made easier. buying each tool separately is not a great idea. It will consume more time and energy than going for a complete set.
Francis Beckerel says
From the above discussion, I am assured that I have chosen 40-piece socket set for my long lasting factory. I think it is one of the top most socket set for my machines. I like it for high-quality alloy steel and most of these tools appear heat for supplying the best results. But when I check the price of this product on amazon, I suppose this price is so high for my part. Can you tell me where I can use it besides my factory? I will be helpful for me.
Danny James says
do these socket sets come with any warranty? if yes, which one has longer warranty period? is Stanley 40-piece socket set compatible with any kind of mechanical equipment or does it has any brand limitations? i would also like to know if it’s made in USA.
John mackenzie says
hello sir, i am a beginner myself, i want to start with Craftsman 165 piece mechanics tool set. There is absolutely no problem for me where it is made , the only concern i have is that tools are made with plastics, i want to replace them with steel made tools . can i do that ?
Dave Nickson says
Stanley STMT71648 is an ideal set. I’ve been using this to do all sorts of maintenance on my car. And I end up using the allen wrenches way more often than I expected too. Even different sizes of allen wrench driver heads. So those aren’t just some space filler. You really need all of those. little heads for the driver.
You would want to use the best tools that you can to do the best job when you are working on vehicle or home and i suggest you Dewalt 84 pcs mechanics tool set.Which one you guys used at home or anywhere?
ARB mollick says
Choosing the Best Socket Set for Mechanics is not an easygoing task. We know having the best socket set is very challenging because of endless choices you will find. Probably after seeing so many tools, you might get puzzle which one is best mechanical tool set and satisfied your requirements. This review might help you to select the perfect one. Working on your own auto repair is very effective way to save money and time. However, do the valuable job you need a good socket set that ensures you the repair work will go smoothly. If you carefully follow the article on all major socket sets this might lead you to pick the best one, before you make your final decision.
Bollenz Clarck says
Many domestic and foreign companies are producing world class knots, bolts and struts. Many organizations are also preparing for export to meet the country’s demand.
In the meantime, some of the domestic furniture, bicycles, motorcycles and kitchen appliances are in talks with the manufacturers to meet the demand. They are relieved that such products are not manufactured in the country and no longer need to be imported. Expressed satisfaction with its value. Exports are also being discussed with some foreign companies. How can the quality of these products be ensured? This post helps a lot for me to know but would like to know more.
Frank Mark says
Well this above all information are very help full for me and I understand to best socket sets every factors that using for mechanical work. Every day we have to need it for a assistant of own work in side of mechanic. This socket set is very easy to carry and also which I know here and also fit for every mechanical work. I hope so that you will who want to use it will be good before using this socket set.