Modern rifles these days either come with a Pre-drilled basis for scope or are prepared for the right mounting facilities from beforehand. On some rifles, however, you also have the choice to Mount the scope by yourself.
If you are mostly a person who chooses to do these things yourself, then there might be instances where you will get confused about which rings, base, or mount will fit the scope for your weapon. For this reason you need the best torque wrench for scope mounting.
The good news is that setting up the scope on the mounting attachments isn’t that hard, given that you have the right mounting kit with you to do the job.If you are still not sure about what sort of tool you need for this task, then guess no further, since a torque wrench is all that you need to install your rifle all by yourself!
So dig right into this article to find out some of the best torque wrenches in the market.We have specifically picked 5 different brands of torque wrenches for you. Read on as we give you a full on description what all the pros and cons of each, so you can choose only the best for yourself!Here is a list of the best torque wrench for scope mounting that we will review in details in this article:
Best Torque Wrench For Scope Mountings Comparison:
- Wheeler Scope Mounting Kit Combo
- Wheeler Digital Accurizing Torque Wrench
- Wheeler Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench
- Vortex Torque Wrench Mounting Kit
- Weaver Deluxe Scope Mounting Kit with Lap Tools
1. Wheeler Scope Mounting Kit Combo
For our first pick, we have chosen the Wheeler scope mounting kit combo.This kit includes everything ranging from torque screwdriver wrench, screwdriver bits, scope ring lapping bars and alignment bars of 1 inch to 30 mm, lapping compound and thread lock.
Basically, that’s everything that you will ever need to mount any scope ranging from 1 inch to 30 mm properly, which is very important for using your firearm the correct way.
What the alignment and lapping of rings does, is to ensure maximum contact in the space between the rings and the scope tube, which prevents any fault during the alignment and prevents any sort of damage.
With the Wheeler F.A.T wrench, you can secure fasteners more easily and with great accuracy. This is extremely important given that accuracy is a huge deal when it comes to mounting the scope of your firearm with causing any deformation.
- Comes with a wide range of tools.
- Includes professional grade bits and the F A.T wrench which will help to secure fasteners properly.
- Comes with a hard plastic casing.
- Covers all scopes between 1 inch and 30 mm
- The torque driver also includes a calibration sticker so you can understand if your fastener is torqued properly.
- Scope turrets are sometimes not aligned with the cross hairs or the reticle.
- The torque wrench can only be set at 5-inch pound increments.
- The bubble levels are not accurate
- Difficult to maintain a group on the lapping bar handle since it is too small
2. Wheeler Digital Accurizing Torque Wrench For Rifle Scope Mounting
For the second torque wrench, we have picked the Wheeler digital accurizing torque wrench.
This digital torque wrench includes a large LCD display that allows you to check values easily, audio and visual indicator, a storage case, wrench, bits, and level level level.
If you hate handling all the torque tools around at all times, then this is the ideal tool for you!
With this digital torque wrench that can be handheld, you can now have a more precise reading that allows you to apply corrected settings to your scope rings, bows, and other screws.You don’t have to worry about when the torque setting has been achieved since the audio and visual indicators let you know exactly when that happens.
It can cover huge ranges between 15-100 inch/pounds and will ensure accuracy in all the screws. What will surprise you the most is that this torque wrench can also be used with bits from other Wheeler mounting kits.
- Can be used with other Wheeler mountain kits since it’s compatible.
- Comes with a plastic storage casing.
- Durable steel bits.
- A large LCD display to view the settings.
- Audio and visual indicator to check the accuracy of torque values.
- No need to carry complete torque kits anymore.
- Covers a large range of between 15-100 inch/ pounds.
- Comes with a spare battery for emergencies.
- The carrying case isn’t strong enough.
- The reading is sometimes inaccurate.
3. Wheeler Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench For Rifle Scope Mounting – Best Torque Screwdriver
The next torque wrench we have picked is the Wheeler firearms accurizing torque wrench.
This is yet another great torque tool, perfect for those who don’t really need an entire torque kit.
The F.A.T torque wrench, which is included in the kit provides reliable adjustment, ranging from 10-inch pounds to 65-inch pounds at 5-inch pounds increments.
In order to use the F.A.T wrench accurately, so that no damage is done to any internal mechanisms. The range should be adjusted to the lowest settings after every single use so that tension is relieved from the internal mechanism, and greater accuracy can also be achieved as a result.
This torque range can also work with a lot of other bits in other Wheeler mounting kits, so one kit can actually do a lot of work.
Apart from that, the steel bits are very strong and durable. And blasting the torque wrench also comes in a plastic carrying case so you can clean them up easily.
- Size of the torque wrench is better for holding with big hands and is also more powerful.
- The wind is compatible with the bits of other wheeler mounting kits.
- No need of an entire complete kit if you have this torque wrench.
- Comes with a wide assortment of bits.
- The adjustment tier is hard to hold on to.
- The plastic carrying case is not strong enough.
- The wrench is not suitable for loosening like they are for tightening.
- This torque wrench can also be used on any fasteners, as it is not limited to only firearms or firearm accessories.
4. Vortex Torque Wrench Mounting Kit For Rifle Scope Mounting
For the 4th torque wrench, we have the Vortex optics torque wrench mounting kit. This kit includes; vortex torque wrenching mountain kit, fog-free lens cleaning kit, badlands everything pocket, and lastly, the vortex optics cryptic hat.
With the vortex fog-free lens cleaner, you can clean your lunch send keep any particles are passed away from them. To do this, simply use the soft bristles of the ultra brush that comes with the kit.
To keep the lens protected from dust and fog, apply the lens cleaner, and use the vortex microfiber cloth to remove any marks or fingerprints from the lens.
Adjust the rifle scopes easily with vertex torque wrench mounting kit. With just the right amount of tension and ease of operation, it is so easy to work with and really fast as well.
Because of its handy design, you can also carry it wherever, and use it whenever you need to. With ranges from 10 inches/pound to 50 inches/pound.
The wrench also allows you to tighten in one-inch pound increments until you reach the specified torque.
- Very handy due to the small size, and also easy to carry wherever it is needed.
- Very easy to operate and set the specific torque value.
- Easy to adjust and strong enough due to strong build overall.
- Really easy to work with since the instructions are simple and easy to follow.
- Includes repeatable torques.
- Prevents over tightening of screws since once it is set. It doesn’t allow the screws to go any further than the set range.
- The upper third portion is limited at only 50 inches/ pound. This limits the usability for some specific mounts
5. Weaver Deluxe Scope Mounting Kit with Lap Tools For Rifle Scope Mounting
For our last pick, we have chosen the Weaver deluxe scope mounting kit.
Suitable for both professionals and beginners alike, this kit also comes with lap tools, and includes; torque wrench, steel driver bits, scope leveling system, lapping bar, alignment pins, overlapping grip compound, lapping bar handle, and Surehand adhesive, and a plastic carrying case where you can store all the pieces of the equipment together and keep them safe and secure.
Known as one of the most popular mounting kits in the market, the Weaver deluxe scope mounting kit is actually a good option for those who already own Weaver’s products from beforehand, or has only 1-inch scopes and rings.
The lapping bar handle which comes along with it is easier to hold with large hands since it fits well.
One downside is that it includes only a single set of lapping bars and alignment pins and only for 1-inch scope rings.
Lastly, the plastic casing is stronger and has separate blow molded compartments or spaces to hold all the tools in an organized manner.
- Strong carrying case with separate pockets to store all items
- Is equally suitable for beginners or experts
- Has 1-inch lapping tools and compound that fits almost all mounting rings
- Comes in with a DVD with clear instructions
- Completes your existing tool collection
- A cheaper option since you don’t have to buy an entire kit of tools
- The product is written off as a warning by the state of California to have cancer-causing chemical.
- Doesn’t have enough bits for the torque wrench.
- This is not a complete kit, therefore, the Wheeler’s kit has comparatively more tools than this one for almost the same price
Considerations Before Buying : The Guide
When it comes to purchasing a torque wrench, there are several things that you need to look out for in order to ensure that you get the best tool.
Choosing the right torque wrench is not easy before you decide on prices and specifications of the range that you want to buy, it is very important to pay attention to factors such as the purpose of the wrench, which in this case is for scope mounting.
There are also other factors that will be discussed in this elaborate guide. It is important to know the difference between purpose and price since even are cheaper wrench can sometimes suit your needs better, and exactly why expensive torque wrenches don’t necessarily guarantee good service.
So let us look at some of the factors that you need to keep in mind when purchasing a torque wrench:
In order for a torque wrench to last, you will need one that is made of good quality materials. An easy way to test this out is to see whether the wrench has a lot of plastics.
Since plastics are not going to last long, you should work if parents have in the metal in it, and therefore indicate that it will last longer.
The grip is a very important part of the entire wrench. Since you will be using the grip with your hands most of the time, new want to make sure that it is comfortable enough to hold, and will not slip during using it.
Even the slightest amount of discomfort will not be worth it. So before purchasing, check the entire design of the tool, to see if it will be comfortable enough.
If you want a good quality product then you should always go for the rent that will give you a higher rate of accuracy. This is a trick that insurance ways to find out if your wrench is of high quality.
For this, you can choose between a slipper type wrench or a digital torque wrench, since they are both known as torque wrenches that have a higher accuracy rating.
Check the Price and any warranty that comes along with the wrench:
It’s true that the better the quality, the more price you have to pay for what you get.
However, there is a good side to it. Since good quality products already have a reputation in the market, there is a higher chance for you to get a warranty, and even a lifetime warranty.
On the other hand, products that have no specific brands, tend to have materials of varying grades. And most likely, you won’t be receiving any warranty on such items.
Therefore, always question the price and the available warranty that comes with your wrench, since it can give away a lot regarding the quality of its materials and how long it is supposed to last.
Check the Ratchet:
You might not think much about it, but the ratchet actually plays a huge role in how you use your torque wrench.
Torque wrenches nowadays come in both clockwise and anticlockwise directions, as a result of which they can be used by people who got both left handed or right handed. Bi-directional torque wrenches are very useful for this reason.
Select Head Designs From Beforehand:
The head is one of the crucial parts of a torque wrench, so before you head out to purchase one, make sure that you know exactly which heads you need while working.
It would be better if you buy a kit that has different types of heads, since sooner or later you will need different types of heads, and buying more number of heads now, will leave you with less to worry about later on.
Benefits of Buying best torque wrench for scope mounting
Instead of using a screwdriver that will cost you more anyway, a torque wrench is so much better when it comes to tightening screws and scope mounts.
Greater chance of Accuracy:
First of all, it is so much work to use a screwdriver. In order to use a screwdriver, you would have to decide and remember when you need to use the longest side of your wrench, as opposed to using the shorter side.
However, when it comes to using a torque wrench, there is a greater rate of accuracy when torquing. You can torque to specific numbers to get an accurate reading, and the accuracy is on point especially when you use a torque wrench.
As simple as it sounds, getting the same results with a screwdriver isn’t that easy to achieve. This is where torque wrenches come to the rescue.
With a torque wrench, there is always a high level of consistency since you can torque things up to a specific level and keep doing it at the same level every single time. Besides that, there are specifications on how to torque specific items, whereas everything you do is also repeatable!
Safe and Easy to Use:
Using a torque wrench for fasteners of any kind is a lot simpler than using a hand-screw or screwdriver of any kind.
Apart from that, using a torque wrench probably lets you stay on a safer side since you don’t have the risk where you might accidentally break something.
If you are using electric wrenches, then it is comparatively easier to operate:
- Electric torque wrenches tend to be more powerful since it has a gearbox with torque multipliers that can automatically create torques on its own without any physical effort.
- Electric torque wrenches are also more precise when it comes to the amount of torque that is applied to bolts.
- You can adjust the torque wrench for a certain amount of torque and rest assured that the wrench will automatically turn off once the specified torque range is reached.
- Electric torque wrenches are quiet while operating and so you won’t have the problem is disturbing anyone nearby
FAQs on Gunsmith Torque Wrench
How important is it for me to use a precision torque wrench on my rifle parts?
Wheeler Digital Fat torque wrench is highly recommended to be used as a starting tool if you work with long-range rifles with scope attachments. It is a good tool for maintenance regardless of whether you’re a frequent rifle user or work at a gun shop.
It is very accurate at adjusting screws and keeps individual components of a rifle rigid and in their intended place during use. Moving parts such as barrel nuts, flash hider, and castle nuts will always remain fixed if this tool is used for adjustment. Additionally, it helps the user to maintain zero during firing due to its precision adjustment.
How does the gun torque wrench work?
The torque wrench helps gun enthusiasts measure the tightness of screws, nuts, bolts, and various other firearm components accurately in torque value. It helps mount additional components such as scopes and grips evenly so that they do not become loose when the firearms are used.
Also, vibration and recoil tend to loosen the rigidity of screws, bolts and mounted components over time, so torque wrenches are important for long-term maintenance.
So far we have reviewed 5 of the best torque wrenches for scope mounting in the market, and with all the pros and cons of each, you have seen a fairly detailed description. Overall, you have learned a lot about some of the best torque wrenches out there for scope mounting and hopefully by now, you know all too well which will work best for you.
Besides that, you have also learned about the advantages of using torque wrenches and also some of the factors that you should keep in mind when purchasing a torque wrench in our guide section.
Hopefully, this article has given you a lot of information regarding what you were looking for, and now all that’s left to do, is to go ahead and get your own Torque wrench for scope mounting!
Last update on 2021-06-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API